Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Moreover...

I've been talking to a guy for the past few weeks, and it was getting to the point that we were going to meet up for a date.  I was g-chatting him this morning, and he said that he didn't want to mislead me; he started seeing someone that he was talking to before he met me, and he wanted to see where it would go.  He likes talking to me, could we still be friends.
 
A big part of me wanted to say, "I got enough friends."  But I didn't.  I just said I don't know how we can be friends when the whole reason we started talking was to begin dating.  I can't divide my feelings that easily.  But...I could always use friends.  We decided to keep the line of communication open.
 
Why did I do this?  I don't want to invest myself emotionally in someone that I might never date.  I don't want to be on the bench for this guy if it doesn't work out with this other chick.  I will continue talking to other guys, don't get me wrong.  It's just not my style to talk to more than one person at a time.  I don't have the attention span, can't keep them straight.  And I don't think it's fair.
 
Well, who said dating was fair?
 
So there's that,
 
Laura

1 comment:

jt said...

It ain't. And not many are going to give you the courtesy of their undivided attention immediately anyway, so I say good on ya for being the same way. Besides, you can't discount someone immediately just because the timing is off. Can't grow a crop without a bunch of seeds being planted. I know, most retarded metaphor ever.

But still. You get my point. It ain't hurting anyone. You aren't married and you don't owe anybody anything and they owe you nothing in return. Once I realized that, it got really easy to hang out with people who had reciprocal energy and cast aside those I got nothing out of, whether we were dating or not.